Tuesday, June 14, 2011

THE VOICE

"Listen to His voice and hold fast to HIm." Dt.30:20

Perhaps some of you have seen the newest reality show called THE VOICE. It's comprised of 4 celebrity judges who- on the first round- simply listen to the singing voices of the contestants. The judges sit with their backs to the participants so that they will only focus on the VOICE and not be distracted by appearance or first impressions. If they like what they hear then they turn their chairs around to show their interest and approval.

This morning during my quiet time I was stirred by the lyrics of a song from Gateway Worship. The inspiring words of the song stayed with me for hours.

"I hear the voice, the voice of the One I love. He's calling my name.
Come up higher, and hear the angels sing.
Come up higher, my beloved.
Come up higher, and leave this world behind.
You'll find me to be beautiful.
I am running, running after You.
You've become my soul's delight.
I am running, running after You.
Here with You I find my life..."

The words caused me to reflect on the VOICES in my life.
Who do I listen to the most? My friends, family, co-workers,
critics, believers, strangers, commercials, the enemy, or my faithful God????
I thought of all the myriad distractions that invade my everyday life.... do I let them get in the way of Listening to the voice of my Beloved? I realized that sometimes I seek out the voices of others before my Lord's... not proud about that. And worse still...giving any attention at all to the voice of the enemy trying to distract me from the voice of God. It's His still small voice that I want to seek and listen to above the noise of the crowd.
I think how blessed am I that He wants to converse with me...to take me to that place where I only hear His voice. I pray for deeper attentiveness to the voice of the Spirit within me. I pray that for all of you also. I pray that we all listen to His voice and hold fast to Him.

I found myself so excited about the Voice that I went to the Scriptures and found more verses to cherish throughout the day. Allow me to share them with you. I ask God to breathe His Voice over you in blessing as you read and reflect on them.

Ps.95:7-8 Today, if you hear His voice, harden not your hearts.

John 10:4 His sheep follow him because they know His voice.

Is.30:21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind
you saying, "This is the way; walk in it. "

Ps.29:3-9 The voice of the Lord is over the waters...
The voice of the Lord is powerful...
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars...
The voice of the Lord strikes with flashes of lightning
The voice of the Lord shakes the Desert of Kadesh
The voice of the Lord twists the oaks and strips the forests bare and in his
temple all cry, "Glory."

Rev.3:20 If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with
him, and he with Me.


JOURNAL EXERCISE:

Choose one of the scriptures above.
Write it in your journal.
Pray it out loud several times.
Post it on an index card that you can keep before you through the day.
Ask God what He is saying to you through this verse?
Write your response to God in your journal.
Write the verse back to God as a prayer. ( as a paraphrase, poem, acrostic etc.)

QUESTION: WHOSE VOICE WILL YOU LISTEN TO TODAY?

0 comments:

Post a Comment