Monday, April 26, 2010

INVITATION TO WRITE

"I put a piece of paper under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I wrote in the dark." -- Henry David Thoreau

I consider myself a "newbie" in the world of writing. I feel like I'm in a huge mansion that is beautifully decorated and welcoming. But it seems like there are so many rooms with closed locked doors. I'm curious as to what lies behind each of those doors and I feel it will take me a lifetime to find out. I've been given a KEY to begin my exploration and discovery simply because I have the desire to walk out this adventure and grow as a writer. Would you like to join me? Perhaps you will find yourself shy-tentative-and unsure about this experience. But trust me-you are in good company because that's the way I started too. So just be yourself----- if you have even the tiniest desire to write...to find your own voice....to discover the song hidden in your heart...to reach for that long denied dream-then come along and enjoy our time together. I thought that I would begin at the beginning and share some things that will help you begin to write. I'll give you a quote worth pondering-- some tips for writing and some prompts for the week of practice. I'm hoping you'll become a follower and share some of your writing or comments with me. You see--writers need other writers. We need that friendship, fellowship, and feedback to enable us to keep on keeping on in the journey of writing that stretches before us. So let's begin:

QUOTE: "You can't sit around thinking. You have to sit around writing." --David Long

TIP#1:
Just begin to write. Don't worry about grammar, rules, spelling, vocabulary, or sentence structure. Put your pen to paper...write about the Prompt that is given...set your timer for 10-15 minutes and just let the writing flow. Don't lift your pen from the page -don't stop to think- just write and be surprised at what opens up inside of you. In writing practice you are free to be--

WRITING PROMPTS:

  1. Write about something you lost
  2. Write about a secret place
  3. Write about a favorite vacation
  4. Write about a time you cried yourself to sleep
  5. Write about your best friend

ENJOY THE JOURNEY!


0 comments:

Post a Comment